Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Five Super Quickie Reviews

Gasp by Lisa McMann
After narrowly surviving two harrowing tragedies, Jules now fully understands the importance of the visions that she and people around her are experiencing. She’s convinced that if the visions passed from her to Sawyer after she saved him, then they must now have passed from Sawyer to one of the people he saved.

That means it’s up to Jules to figure out which of the school shooting survivors is now suffering from visions of another crisis. And once she realizes who it is, she has to convince that survivor that this isn't all crazy—that the images are of something real. Something imminent.

As the danger escalates more than ever before in the conclusion to the Visions series, Jules wonders if she'll finally find out why and how this is happening—before it's too late to prevent disaster.

This was a great ending to this thrilling Visions trilogy; I love Lisa’s writing style and loved these characters from beginning to end. Each book was even more suspenseful than the last, with non-stop adventure, a sweet romance and a genuine mystery that kept me guessing until the very end.



Entwined with You by Sylvia Day
The worldwide phenomenon continues as Eva and Gideon face the demons of their pasts, and accept the consequences of their obsessive desires…

From the moment I first met Gideon Cross, I recognized something in him that I needed. Something I couldn’t resist. I saw the dangerous and damaged soul inside–so much like my own. I was drawn to it. I needed him as surely as I needed my heart to beat.

No one knows how much he risked for me. How much I’d been threatened, or just how dark and desperate the shadow of our pasts would become.

Entwined by our secrets, we tried to defy the odds. We made our own rules and surrendered completely to the exquisite power of possession…

Another trilogy (Crossfire) I read back-to-back; I loved every moment of the bedroom scenes within these books, but still have a lot of trouble getting past the absolute control Gideon executed over Eva in their everyday lives. I loved the underlying story and I am still new to reading erotica and if they all have these controlling, alpha males, I don’t think I can continue to read them. I will probably finish this series when the next books are released because I am truly enjoying the series.



Invincible by Diana Palmer
He's everything she fears…

and everything she wants

Mercenary by name and by nature, Carson is a Lakota Sioux who stays to himself and never keeps women around long enough for anything emotional to develop. But working with his friend Cash Grier on a complex murder investigation provides Carson with another kind of fun—shocking Cash's sweet-but-traditional secretary, Carlie Blair, with tales of his latest conquests.

Then Carlie lands in deep trouble. She saw something she shouldn't have, and now the face of a criminal is stored permanently in her photographic memory…and Carlie is the key piece of evidence that could implicate a popular politician in the murder case.

Her only protection is Carson—the man she once despised. But when she learns that Carson is more than just a tough guy, Carlie realizes she's endangered herself further. Because now her only chance to live means losing her heart to the most dangerous kind of man…

More book romantic crack for my brain. Same mold for every character as her previous books, just with a tweak here and there. But, it’s Diana Palmer…I enjoyed it because she is my bookish crack.



When You Dare by Lori Foster
The tougher they are, the harder they fall…

Professional mercenary Dare Macintosh lives by one hard and fast rule: business should never be personal. If a cause appeals to him and the price is right, he'll take the mission he's offered. But then the lovely Molly Alexander asks him to help her track down the men who'd had her kidnapped—and for the first time, Dare's tempted to combine work with pleasure.

Fiercely independent, Molly vows to trust no one until she's uncovered the truth. Could the enemy be her powerful, estranged father? The ex-fiancĂ© who still holds a grudge? Or the not-so-shy fan of her bestselling novels? As the danger heats up around them, the only anchor Molly has is Dare himself. But what she feels for him just might be the most frightening thing of all…
 
This was a fabulous series (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor) opener, and why-oh-why did I wait so long to read these? Also this is my first time reading Lori’s work and I was NOT disappointed! Action-packed and filled with romantic tension, I was glued to the pages. Each alpha male was more incredible than the last, and yet they are incredibly sensitive without losing their hard edge.



Winger by Andrew Smith
Ryan Dean West is a fourteen-year-old junior at a boarding school for rich kids. He’s living in Opportunity Hall, the dorm for troublemakers, and rooming with the biggest bully on the rugby team. And he’s madly in love with his best friend Annie, who thinks of him as a little boy.

With the help of his sense of humor, rugby buddies, and his penchant for doodling comics, Ryan Dean manages to survive life’s complications and even find some happiness along the way. But when the unthinkable happens, he has to figure out how to hold on to what’s important, even when it feels like everything has fallen apart.

Filled with hand-drawn info-graphics and illustrations and told in a pitch-perfect voice, this realistic depiction of a teen’s experience strikes an exceptional balance of hilarious and heartbreaking.

What can I say about Andrew Smith and his inconceivable ability to tell a story? I love that he never writes what is considered the “popular genre” and always writes to his own "tune." I’m never disappointed and always kept completely engaged and emotional until the very last page. This book is about so much more than it leads you to believe, Ryan Dean was a wonderful character and he took me completely by surprise. I’m at a loss as to just how to articulate my love for this book. Just read it. It’s a book that needs to be read and shared.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.