Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Torment by Lauren Kate

Torment:
Hell on earth.

That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.

It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts - immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something - something dangerous.

What if Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?


When I finished Fallen by Lauren Kate shortly after it was first released I felt a little “meh” about it, so I was really hoping that this book (the second in the series) would exceed the storyline that was initially introduced. Sadly, Torment did not draw me in at all. In fact I could have gone without almost eighty percent of this book, the only time the story actually moved forward was within the last thirty or so pages. I quickly grew tired of the “woe is me” and “epic love story” that filled most of the pages. My heart just wasn't in it.  I didn’t feel there was much romance throughout the pages, considering this is supposed to be a story about a LOVE that has transcended time.   There was little to no character development and Luce was incredibly annoying, she was weak and didn’t know how to stand on her own two feet without Daniel. The only positive element to her character was the fact that she finally began to question her past (lives) with Daniel, why she is cursed to die and where she sees herself in the future. There were so many times that I wanted to just put this book down and be done with it, but I don’t know…I guess I’m just stubborn, so I pushed through it. I honestly don’t know if I will continue on with the series or not. I own all of the books, but if Torment is the blueprint for the next two books, I just don’t know if I can handle that much seemingly endless prattle. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.