Thursday, February 21, 2013

Destined by Aprilynne Pike


Destined:
Tamani looked at her gravely, and reached up to tuck her hair behind her ear.

He hesitated for an instant, then his hands found the sides of her face, pulling her to him. He didn't kiss her, just held her face close to his, their foreheads resting together, their noses almost touching.

She hated how much it felt like good-bye.

Laurel now knows the truth: Yuki is a rare Winter faerie, the most powerful--and deadly--of all, and Klea plans to use her to help conquer and destroy Avalon. But Klea's reach extends far beyond one wild Winter faerie. With Tamani, David, and Chelsea by her side, Laurel prepares to face what may be Avalon's final days, in the stunning conclusion to the Wings series.




To keep this spoiler free, this is going to be rather short. I was so sad to say goodbye to these characters, but that times finally came where I couldn't put off reading Destined by Aprilynne Pike any longer. Aprilynne created a unique spin on faerie lore, one that leans more toward science than magic; and this was an incredible, action-packed and bittersweet ending to the Wings series. Destined was an emotional roller coaster of a book and I don't think there was anything that I didn't feel throughout this story. During this series Aprilynne built a unique world and strong characters that I fell in love with almost immediately, and this story ties them all together wonderfully. Although, I have to admit that I didn't like the second "ending" the author tacked on after finishing the story. In my eyes it made a great hero look weak, looking for the easy way out. The vivid details on every page pulled me right into Destined, and it will be hard to let these characters go. Destined picks up right where Aprilynne left us hanging at the end of Illusions. And while there was still the lingering pieces of a love triangle, Laurel makes her choice while fighting to save Avalon when tragedy strikes. Determined to save her homeland from the clutches of an exiled faerie, Laurel barely has time to breathe, never mind worrying about boys. Discovering that her destiny is more than she could have ever imagined, Laurel, and those that she trusts with her very life, will be integral in a new future for Avalon.  Non-stop twists and turns kept me on the edge of my seat the entire book. Needless to say, I very much so enjoyed this series and I'm looking forward to what Aprilynne comes up with next.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.