Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Taken by Storm by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Taken by Storm:
Bryn knows first-hand that being the alpha of a werewolf pack means making hard decisions, and that being human makes things a thousand times worse. She's prepared to give up her humanity, but the wolf who promised to Change her is waiting - though for what, Bryn doesn't know. Still human, she must take her place in the werewolf Senate, the precarious democracy that rules the North American packs. Standing side by side with werewolves who were ancient long before she was ever born is enough of a challenge, but Bryn soon learns that the Senate has been called to deal with a problem: the kind of problem that involves human bodies, a Rabid werewolf, and memories that Bryn, Chase, and the rest of their pack would rather forget. With bodies stacking up and political pressure closing in from all sides, Bryn and her pack are going to have to turn to old enemies and even older friends for help - especially when it starts to look like this time, the monster might be one of their own.


Taken by Storm by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is the final book in the Raised by Wolves trilogy. And I can honestly say that I have not loved and hated a book this much than I can ever recall. I loved this book because the writing, emotional engagement and storytelling were amazing. And I hated this book because in the end everyone was somehow hurt or seriously damaged emotionally. This book was a lot heavier and darker than the previous two novels in the series; and this was the first one where Jennifer made me cry, blubbering into a tissue as I continued to turn the pages.

While many of my questions of Bryn’s life were answered, there were so many new ones that came to light and continue to remain unanswered. There was still a lot of mystery that surrounded Chase, but the one thing that never changed was his unconditional love for Bryn. The hint of Devon’s love for Bryn—his romantic feelings rather than his loyalty—was introduced in Taken by Storm, but it was left with an inadequate, open conclusion where as readers we are left guessing the final outcome. Throughout this trilogy Jennifer brought each and every character to life for me, and that remained a high point in this book, but the tragic twist in the last of the story really made it difficult for me to understand just what the author was thinking. And I was left with a big, huge WHY??? on my lips.

Everything Callum has been grooming Bryn for her entire life has come into play or is just beginning. And the secrets he continues to keep from her will irrecoverably change her life and everything she has ever known. Bryn was such an incredible heroine that I fell in love with during Raised by Wolves, and I feel her story hasn’t been completely told yet and I can only hope that Jennifer will continue writing more, even if it is some sort of spin-off series. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.