Friday, January 4, 2013

Grace Doll by Jennifer Laurens

Grace Doll:
Grace Doll had everything a girl could want: Fame. Fortune. Beauty. Everything except her freedom. So when a powerful movie producer forces an experimental treatment on Grace--one that's purported to make beauty immortal--she stages her own death to escape him. With the help of trusted friends, Grace slips into hiding. She's forever flawless. Forever young, and forever pursued by her past. But when a stranger arrives on her doorstep, holding the key to a life she thought she'd left behind, Grace must decide between the safety she's known...and embracing the role she was born to play.









Jennifer Laurens is one of my favorite young adult indie authors, but I had a hard time connecting to this book. It didn’t have the usual flow that I enjoy most about Jennifer’s books, and I didn’t feel the emotional highs and lows that keep me completely absorbed in a book. I did enjoy the premise of the story, and Jennifer touches on some very serious subject matters: abuse, rape, and pedophilia; making this book more appropriate for mature readers. The book had a good amount of tension and Jennifer’s visualization of old Hollywood grabbed my attention, and the characters kept me reading long into the night.

Grace is a beautiful young teen when she is discovered by Rufus Solomon, a huge Hollywood big-wig in the 1940’s. He decides that she must be his and goes to great, sickening lengths to trap her, leaving her no choice but to stay by his side and become his starlet. An experimental serum gives Grace eternal youth on the same night she makes her escape by faking her death. For years she had kept herself hidden from the world, but that all changed when the son of a good and trusted friend appears on her doorstep bringing trouble and her past along with him. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.