Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sundays with Sarah (20)

To find out more about Sarah and this feature go here.



Welcome to another Sundays with Sarah. I want to thank all those who are following my Sunday posts on Amy’s blog.
 
This week I am going to be reviewing some favorite films and television shows of mine and why I like them so much.
 
“Charmed” (TV Series 1998-2006)

Charmed is about three sisters who discover their destiny - to battle against the forces of evil, using their witchcraft. They are the Charmed Ones. The show revolves around Prudence (played by Shannon Doherty; seasons 1-3), Piper (Holly Marie Combs) and Phoebe Halliwell (Alyssa Milano and later “Paige Matthews” played by Rose McGowan in seasons 4-8 who is a half sister). This incredible strong female cast delivers a powerful performance throughout the series. From their multiple love triangles and romances while fighting demons and warlocks, this show covers topical genre’s from the whole spectrum. What really enticed me about this show was the in-depth writing and story line from the beginning of the series to the emotional tear jerking finale which was well ended. In each season, each lead character goes through character transformations that help with the growth of the show in the personal level. Dealing from the loss of a sister, friends and even betrayal, the show provides a lot of interesting lines and quotes which I have found to be personally touching.
 
Memorable quotes
 
Piper: Phoebe, how many times have I told you not to play dress-up with the demons?
---
Paige: You used to be a demon *and* a lawyer?
Cole: Yeah.
Paige: Insert joke here.
---
Piper: Vanquish demon first, kill husband later.
---
Phoebe: I don't get it. If our ancient compilation of spells, witchcraft and rituals can't help us, what makes you think Martha Stewart can?
 
 
One of my favorite films is also an oldie but goodie favorite of a movie.
 
“What Dreams May Come” (film 1998)
 
This film is a psychological film that will test your belief and faith. Although this movie was not well shown or distributed the film in my opinion was one of the most interesting films I’ve ever seen. The movie revolves around an excellent cast starring, Robin Williams (Chris), Cuba Gooding Jr. (Albert), and Annabella Sciorra (Annie). Chris who is tragically killed after the tragic death of his kids wakes up in heaven and ran by his own imagination. As he discovers and comes to terms with his death, he meets incredible people who help him but all the while must also suffer at the doward spiral of his soulmate and wife who ends up committing suicide. Chris goes on a mission to save her tormented and lost soul while also trying to find his family and reunite in heaven. Chris and Annie are reunited with their children in Heaven, whose original appearances are restored. Chris proposes reincarnation, so that he and Annie can experience life together all over again. The film ends with Chris and Annie meeting again as young children in a situation roughly parallel to their first meeting.
 
This movie takes time to watch and lots of patience. Although the film is hard in a way to understand the message is very powerful and can hit close to home for some. It is a sad movie to watch but makes one wonder about how life is after we die. Is there a god, where do we go, how do our souls actually live on, or do they.
 
Memorable Quotes
 
Albert: Chris, "here" is big enough for everyone to have their own private universe.
---
Chris Nielsen: Thank you for every kindness. Thank you for our children. For the first time I saw them. Thank you for being someone I was always proud to be with. For your guts, for your sweetness. For how you always looked, for how I always wanted to touch you. God, you were my life. I apologize for everytime I ever failed you. Especially this one...
---
Marie: [looks at a cardboard cutout of Heaven] Is this where we go when we die?
Chris Nielsen: It's a dream baby, it's a beautiful one, but you know dreams...
Marie: I know, aren't real. I know.
---
Annie Nielsen: Sometimes when you lose, you win.
---
 
 
 
Anyways, another one of my favorite films and one that I had a hand on working on became one of my favorites because I also got to know the late Michael Duncan Clarke. Big guys, soft heart.
 
“The Last Mimzy” (Film 2007)
 
This story, based off of the short story of “Mimzy Were the borogoves” by Henry Kuttner, is about the story of a distant future's attempt to avert a catastrophic ecological disaster that has destroyed their world. High tech devices, masquerading as toys, are sent back in time into the hands of Noah and Emma, two children who live with their parents Jo (Joely Richardson) and David (Timothy Hutton) in early 21st century Seattle. The "toys" are mostly incomprehensible to Emma (Rhiannon Leigh Wryn) and Noah (Chris O'Neil), except for what appears to be a stuffed rabbit named Mimzy. Sensing the strangeness of the devices, the children initially keep their discovery a secret from their parents. The children develop increased intelligence and psychic capabilities, including telepathy, levitation, telekinesis, realize the Mandela, teleportation, and the ability to communicate with arthropods (bugs). Emma becomes emotionally attached to Mimzy, from which she learns how to further operate the devices. Because of her bond with Mimzy, Emma develops more of the unique abilities than her brother, being the only one of the siblings to display an abnormal increase in intelligence/brain activity telekinesis, levitation, precognition, and telepathy (though Noah can communicate with her once she has contacted him). Emma is also the only one who can use the Spinners, strange spinning, floating rocks that produce a force field. Noah's abilities are increased intelligence, communication with arthropods, and telepathy (before the blackout, he can also use one of the toys to teleport objects after staring at it, and then observing his surroundings, but it is assumed he can no longer perform this ability after the toy fuses with another of the objects). At one point, Noah seems somewhat envious of his sister's prowess, but she reveals to him that even though she is the Chosen One, he is her Engineer and she cannot "build the bridge to the future" without him.
 
So what was my part, well I helped as a consultant on the movie in a limited capacity and those who know my know why...as it has to do with the massive horde of stuffed bunnies and the “original” Mimzy bunny I have at home.
 
Memorable quotes
 
Girl with Braces: [entering Seattle Elementary, the Metal Detector goes off] It must be my braces, I am not a terrorist.
School Guard: We will see about that, take empty your pockets.
---
Emma Wilder: Yuck! They *killed* it!
Noah Wilder: How else would you eat it?
Emma Wilder: Mommy, I don't understand. Why did they have to kill it? He didn't do anything to anyone.
Noah Wilder: What about that chopped up cow you're eating?
Emma Wilder: What chopped up cow?
Noah Wilder: What do you think hamburger is?
---
 
 
Anyways, my last review is one of my other favorite television shows from way back when
 
“Boy Meets World” (TV series 1993-2000)
 
*SPOILER ALERT* *SPOILER ALERT* *SPOILER ALERT*
 
One of the best TV series from my past and one of the best family orientated shows ever on television. The show starts with Cory (Ben Savage) as an average eleven year old boy. He has a best friend from the other side of the tracks, a teacher that constantly keeps him on his toes, a classmate named Topanga who he has trouble understanding, and a family that keeps his life interesting - including an older brother who seems to become more idiotic as the show progresses. As years wear on and Cory grows up, everything gradually changes. Shawn begins to feel the strains of his lees than perfect life, Topanga (Danielle Fischel) become more than a friend, and the constant spinning of the world leads up to Cory slowly becoming less naive and more responsible. This show provides a whack load of comedy one liners but most of all teaches the fundamentals of growing up with a good sense of morals and ethics. From relationships, to family conflicts, dealing with loss and even marriage and making choices. I believe if more kids had watched this TV series life in general wouldn’t have been so messed up.
 
The biggest news about the show is the new Disney Spinoff “Girl Meets World” where the tables are turned and now the daughter of Cory and Topanga is now focused in center spot light. We discover the fate of the beloved Mr. Feeny and most of all, all the great comedy is back. As the story focuses on a teen girl (daughter of Cory and Topanga) discovers, boys, and relationships just like Cory did but at the same time, learning how to deal with the latest social taboo’s and problems that most teenagers in life have to deal with.
 
Memorable Quotes
 
Cory: Mom, Listen, I haven't been together with Topanga for twenty-two years, but we *have* been together for sixteen. 'Kay, that's a lot longer than most couples have been together. I mean, when we were born, you told me that we used to take walks in our strollers together in the park. When we were two, we were best friends, I mean, I, I knew everything about this girl. I knew her favorite color. I knew her favorite food. Then we became six, you know, and Eric made fun of me because it wasn't cool to have a best friend that was a girl or even know a girl, so for the next seven years I threw dirt at her. I like to call those "the lost years". Then when I was thirteen, Mom, she put me up against my locker and she kissed me. I mean, she gave me my first kiss. She taught me how to dance. She was always talking about these crazy things and I never understood a word she said. All I understood was that she was the girl I sat up every night thinking about, and when I'm with her I feel happy to be alive. Like I can do anything. Even talk to you like this. So that's, that's what I feel is love, Mom... When I'm better because she's here... and now she won't be. So we're finished.
---
Morgan Matthews: Mommy, if my dolly's cold, can I put her in the toaster oven?
Amy Matthews: No, honey. That would be a mistake.
Morgan Matthews: Mommy?
Amy Matthews: Yes?
Morgan Matthews: I made a mistake.
Amy Matthews: [runs over to toaster oven and pulls out doll] Cory, didn't you smell that?
Cory: Yeah, I just thought we were having plastic for dinner.
---
Eric: Lose one friend, lose all friends, lose yourself.
---
Mr Feeny: What?
Cory: We’re leaving.
Mr Feeny: I know
Topanga: We wanted to know if you had anything left to teach us.
Mr Feeny: No. My work with you is done.
Shawn: I don’t know. That’s pretty scary. Going into a whole new world.
Mr Feeny: And you are ready to go into that world.
Eric: Even me?
Mr Feeny: Even you. Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try. Do good.
Topanga: Don’t you mean do well?
Mr Feeny: No I mean do good.
Eric: Well, I guess there’s just one thing left then. Tell us you love us.
Mr Feeny: Now look. If there is one thing I’ve taught you it is that there is a line between teacher and student that must never be crossed
Eric: Tell us you love us.
Mr Feeny: I regard all my students equally.
Shawn: Oh, you know we’re your favorites.
Cory: Come on Feeny. You haven’t even talked to another student for seven years. I mean that…
Eric: Tell us you love us!
Mr Feeny: I surely will not.
Eric: Okay for you then. 
[pauses]
Mr. Feeny: I love you all,
[pauses]
Mr. Feeny: class dismissed.
 
The last quote was at the very end of the show and series and was the most emotional and inspirational. But don’t take my word for it...watch the series.
 
 
Anyways, I hope you all have liked this week’s “Sundays with Sarah”, tune in hopefully next week, when I eat PIE!!!, lol
 
Have a good week.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the CAPTCHA folks. I'm getting too much spam again!!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one that I receive and I appreciate your thoughts.